Friday, April 24, 2009

Making a sale without selling

serendipity

Making a desirable discovery by accident.


I just had an epiphany after reading an informative article from kevinhogan.com. The article was about dealing with people’s preconceived notions when making sales. This was where my serendipity occurred. Two days earlier, I had picked up two wholesale accounts by doing one simple thing.

I was emailed by a potential wholesale client from Denver who had found out about us from a web search. Instead of calling him back, I told him to check out our Yelp reviews and gave him my phone number.

One hour later, his girlfriend called me on the phone. She asked me a couple of basic questions. I started to tell her about our products but she interrupted.

 “Don’t bother, we want to use you,” she said.

She said her boyfriend had checked Yelp and was so impressed with the reviews that he immediately knew we were the right company for him.

I was thrilled about the account, but my brain must have been on autopilot. I had a Homer Simpson moment – the reason for my sale did not occur to me until I read the Kevin Hogan article. It was serendipity. My current customers had helped create a future sale.

Most of you would say that it is common sense to use references, testimonials, reviews, etc. The problem is, knowledge is worthless unless we utilize it. Twenty-four out of 27 of my Yelp reviews are five stars, but I have never utilized this for marketing.

Ask your best customers for testimonials. Check online comments or reviews of your products or services. Use this information to pre-sell what you offer. Put it in your marketing materials, website, and advertisements.  The buzz created by your current customers will send a powerful message to future ones.

 

 

 

18 comments:

  1. This is great news, I love to hear these kinds of stories. Congratulations on selling such a quality product and providing Grade A service.

    Lisa McLellan, Babysitting Services - Babysitters, Nannies, and Au-pairs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! You're doing a lot of things very right!

    JJ Jalopy.
    How to become a coach with JJ Jalopy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kevin turned me on to this too and boy is he right. I asked customers for written referrels and they were pleased to give them. They opened MANY doors. I will be using them again on my website. It is amazing the power they have!
    SunnyMarie
    www.sunnymarie.com
    www.sunnymarie.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. "you had me at... YELP!" ;)

    Mark, congratulations both on the wonderful new well-aligned customer, for your marketing learning leverage, as well as for all you excellent reviews at Yelp.

    You clearly are developing marvelous business relationships.

    Best regards,

    April Braswell

    Dating Expert and Online Dating CoachGrief and Divorce Recovery Seminar

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great stuff!!

    David Power

    www.david-power.com/blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent point.....our best reviews, carrying the most weight, are testimonials-it's been true in every industry I've ever been involved with

    Thanks
    JCButterfly Marketing
    Manuscript
    JC

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is awesome technique, why sell yourself when your customers can be so much more effective?

    Seize the Day,

    Rob
    Sales Eagles Soar Above the Competition!Personal Asset Protection For Small Business Owners

    ReplyDelete
  8. What's the cliche'? Word of mouth is the best advertising. I think you are selling your self short. It is not serendipity, it is being great at what you do and keeping your customers more than happy. Kudos!

    Anthony
    http://www.anthonylemme.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anthony, I agree, it is not serendipity that our customers rave about our product.
    Knowledge is useless unless we act on it. The serendipity occurred after using Yelp as a reference and reading an article about it almost right after it happened. It gave me the realization to form a plan using this knowledge. Mark

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mark,

    Is Yelp an online review site? I haven't heard of it before and maybe I could use this resource as well.

    Mitch
    BlackBerry Mobile Education Fastest and Cheapest Motorola v551 unlock codes Fastest and Cheapest Mototorola v180 unlock codes

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mitch, Yelp is an online site where people review restaurants, stores, etc. It can be a great resource if people if you have a great product or service and people talk about you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In my field, there is very little advertising for the direct practice part so present clients become referral sources as much as 2 years down the road.

    Jen


    The Harwood Center - Tinnitus, Chronic Illness, Fears, Phobias, and Anxiety The Harwood Center Products

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great reminder. We are all sitting on unexploited assets. Reviews, testimonials and success stories and any element of social proof are so powerful yet so often under-utilized.
    Yann, ProfitsTactics.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'll have to check out yelp. in my business i have'nt advertised in about 18 years. The pipeline is always full. referals and testamonials keep me busy.

    Don Shepherd
    Oregon Flyfishing

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on the sale - a lot of people in LA go to yelp for their references.

    Pat
    Business Owners Fast Track to Internet Profits

    ReplyDelete