Sunday, April 26, 2009

Information Overload Part 2

Judging by yesterday's responses, it seems as though many of you also have issues with easily accessing information you have read or filed. And, unless you have a photographic memory, it is important to organize a workable retrieval system for that information. I have been working on a system that is very time consuming, but will be an incredible resource once I am finished.

I have an extensive library of business, marketing, and persuasion books, as well as a file of relevant magazine and newspaper articles. I have always underlined key points and made notes in all of my books and I never sell a good book.

For the last year, I have spent hundreds of hours putting my notes in an electronic format using a couple of software programs; Stickies and Microsoft Word. Stickies is an electronic version of Post It Notes that exists on your computer desktop. I cut and paste relevant Internet information and put the source at the end of a numbered point. I also add my underlined book and magazine notes to the files. I then back up the files on an Internet storage site.

Once I finish summarizing the book points and my paper files, I will pay an assistant to break down the points even further into subcategories. I am doing this because I might have an idea under two or more categories. The beauty of this is that I will have my own easily accessible electronic files for articles, blogs, newsletters, books, etc.

You are fooling yourself if you think you can easily recall everything that you have learned in your reading and research. We are in a revolutionary period where an almost infinite amount of information is available with the press of a button. Those of us that can summarize valuable information and put it in an easy to use format will own an information goldmine. Combine this with excellent copy writing and solid business practices and you will be wealthy beyond your wildest dreams.

P.S Feel free to offer suggestions for simplifying my system. There are numerous people that responded that have a similar need to save valuable information. JC had a great idea to create a software program to help organize different categories of information. I really think a program like that can be a huge seller.

22 comments:

  1. Anxiously awaiting your new product! I agree a program like you mentioned would be great.

    Don Shepherd
    Oregon Flyfishing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since my photographic memory crashed at age 14, I could use this system you are describing!

    Sue Crutcher, Life Empowerment Mentor

    PS - I use 'stickies' on my desktop ... I wish they could be attached to my outlook calendar, but other than that, they are very useful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for that.
    What a great resource to have.
    I need it too.

    Lynn Lane

    www.Warriorofsuccess.com
    www.warriorofsuccess.com/success-training

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great!
    SunnyMarie
    www.sunnymarie.com
    www.sunnymarie.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe we need to think seriously about designing this. Looks like everyone could use it

    JC
    JCButterfly Marketing
    Manuscript

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think we should look into this JC. Everyone else, thanks for the comments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was going to be my next question - How do you organize it all? Great information here. You certainly are committed to organizing if you spent that much time getting it in place.
    I'm impressed!

    Lisa McLellan, Babysitting Services - Babysitters, Nannies, and Au-pairs

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nuts... I've seen something that does something like this and I can't remember what or where.

    I'll try and do some digging and see if I imagined it.

    It's certainly a good idea and, even if something along these lines exists, a version specifically targeting writers / bloggers could do very well.

    Philip

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, talk about an awsome product. Who cares if there is another one out there.

    Anthony
    http://www.anthonylemme.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Google "evernote". It's fantastic.

    DevonTHINK is an awesome application on the mac that i use to store this kind of data.

    Organising data makes a massive difference. Especially if you do a lot of writing and need to cite sources quickly.

    JJ Jalopy.
    Coaching Mentoring Expert JJ JalopyHow to become a coach with JJ Jalopy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounds like you've found the perfect product for the infoholics niche...

    All the best,
    Yann
    www.ProfitsTactics.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great advice to get things order. I could use the help!

    Jen B

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent points about not only taking notes but reflecting, summarizing and ORGANIZING them as well!

    (How's it going with that other lil project you asked me about earlier? ;) )

    Best regards,

    April Braswell

    Dating Quick Start Expert, Relationship Success CoachDivorce Support and Bereavement Support seminar, Henderson, Las Vegas

    ReplyDelete
  14. Same here...eager to see your new product!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I used to put things into Act but that got unwieldy to research. Would love a software program that kept thoughts and information in one place.

    Pat
    Internet Dollars for Business Owners

    ReplyDelete
  16. It is great to read some of the information and feedback, here. I hope to read more ideas in the future!!!

    ReplyDelete