Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Don’t read this post if you are easily offended

The potential for persuasion can be lost at the drop of a word. Mention a controversial issue and many people become so offended that they can’t focus on the overall message, whatever it may be. This is very common in politics. It drives people to vote based on a candidate’s stand on single issues like abortion, taxation, or the death penalty.

I have an opinion that is so controversial in my community, I will not talk about it in my ice cream stores. I will share it with you at the end of the post because I fear that if I tell you now, my overall message may be lost.

Building a rapport with your customers is important, yet there are some things you shouldn’t discuss. Religion is one of them. For instance, if you were a salesperson, this joke would probably be a bad idea. But for our purposes, it’s worth the laugh.

Warning: If anyone is offended by the following, feel free to substitute Rabbi, Imam, Father, Tom Cruise, or whoever for the role of priest.

One beautiful sunny day, a priest and his church’s web designer, John, go out for a round of golf for the very first time.

John tees up on the first hole and takes a huge swing. Whiff.

“%%@ damn it, I missed,” screams John.

The priest looks at the web designer and says, “I am a man of the cloth, please don’t talk that way.”

John apologizes profusely.

John slowly approaches the ball, takes another huge swing, and misses.

“%%@ damn it,” he screams.

The priest lowers his head and says, “You cannot take the lord’s name in vain. If you say that one more time, there will be a problem.”

The web designer shakes his head and approaches the ball for the third time. He takes a slow, deliberate swing and misses again. He holds his breath and starts to turn red. Finally, he can’t take it anymore and screams.

“%%@ damn it.”

The priest immediately drops to his knees and starts to pray. Dark clouds roll in. The previously sunny sky turns grey. Out of nowhere, a lightning bolt flashes from the sky and turns the priest to ashes.

From the sky comes a booming voice.

“%%@ damn it, I missed.”

I have a bad habit of sometimes talking without thinking. I also have a good habit of analyzing impartially what I have said, what I read, and life in general. I woke up this morning thinking of a blog I read last night. My Internet friend, Duane, wrote a very entertaining and informative blog about hype.

What I remembered most about the blog was Duane’s opinion that sushi is dangerous. I looked back over the blog and found some great points. The problem in my frail human mind was that Duane made what I felt was an incorrect statement that I could not get out of my head. It clouded my memory of the post.

For the record, health codes in the U.S require sushi to be frozen at extremely low temperatures to destroy harmful organisms. I respect all opinions and do not get offended by different points of view. The problem is, my brain’s initial reaction isn’t always so fair.

You must consider how customers react to the statements we make about controversial issues. I do not consider sushi controversial. Abortion, politics, and global warming can be.

Now I will share with you the viewpoint that I cannot utter within 100 yards of any of my stores.

I do not believe that mankind caused global warming. I do believe in almost all of the steps being taken to reduce global warming, but I feel that the planet has more immediate problems, namely those resulting from the overpopulation that has accompanied the massive economic growth in previously poor countries like China and India.

People actually get angry with me when I state my global warming opinion. “How can you believe that?” they ask.

You cannot change a person’s beliefs. You can offer good arguments and back them up with statistics and facts. The fact remains that people need to change their beliefs by themselves. All of us in marketing are in the persuasion business. Taylor your messages to your prospect’s needs and desires. Try to avoid putting our primitive human minds in the negative mode.

17 comments:

  1. I can see where not buying into the Global Warming Hoax would not be popular out there...

    I agree totally that there are much bigger problems. For a very quick read on this subject, read "Cool It" by Lomborg.. He makes the point that the dollars spent dealing with a controversial global Warming myth could be spent 1000's of times more effectively in terms of relieving human suffering...

    Don't get me started... State of Fear by Crichton is also a good novel on this...

    Seize the Day,

    Rob
    Sales Eagles Soar Above the Competition!Personal Asset Protection For Small Business Owners

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right don't make that global warming comment in a place like Boulder.


    Bob Kaufer
    Sign Up for My Free Neuro Performance E Course Here

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fast economic developments in the last 20 odd years has already posted dire pollutions to be dealt with in coming decades!


    John Ho
    Numerology Expert Helps Understanding Personalities for Better Influence & Persuasion (WordPress Blog)
    Numerology Expert Helps Understanding Personalities for Better Influence & Persuasion (Money Page)

    ReplyDelete
  4. People would rather be right than happy. Hence they cling to their beliefs til the bitter end.
    The world is getting dirtier and hotter for many reasons. The goal should be to be cleaner and cooler and I mean that in many respects.

    Anthony
    http://www.anthonylemme.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Mark,

    Good post. It's amazing when people have convictions they will do anything to make sure they are not attacked in any way.

    Mitch
    BlackBerry Mobile Education Fastest and Cheapest Motorola v551 unlock codes Fastest and Cheapest Mototorola v180 unlock codes

    ReplyDelete
  6. State of Fear by Crichton got me analzying a lot that I had taken for granted about global warming. But I have found since that other people just take on faith what they believe about global warming and a lot of other things besides.. Kind of scary.Sort of a "Mind made up and shut closed. Don't confuse me with any facts" mentality....
    SunnyMarie
    www.sunnymarie.com
    www.sunnymarie.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post and funny joke. And a serious message about human nature too.

    There's a growing number of scientists voicing their concerns about the lack of evidence that mankind is responsible for the warming of the planet...

    But it's much easier to accept what the majority of people think - laziness and unwillingness to be "wrong" and/or "different"...

    All the best,
    Yann

    CBC - Global Warming Doomsday Called Off is an intriguing documentary on the topic if you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just the other day I read about a baby elephant preserved in Siberian tundra. The baby was found as the tundra warmed. The tundra has gone from a warm climate to a cold one and now is warming. Geologic science shows the climatic changes from hot to cold and back. So, there is a natural cycle. I just wonder how much our actions have made it more dramatic and that includes the impact of overpopulation on the world.

    Pat
    Business Owners Fast Track to Internet Profits

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting....there was an article about a year ago in one of the monthly magazines: two well known scientists, both leaders in the field, both known for "doing his homework", both writing about global warming...and 180 degrees different in their opinions.
    Personally I can't belief the planet is in trouble...WE may be in trouble but the planet"s weathered worse than this before...it could very well be a natural cycle. Considering how few years we've been here when you take into account the planet's age, we're going to have a tough time making a guess...it's like looking at just the man's strand of hair to determine how tall he is-You don't have the full picture

    Just a thought

    JC
    JCButterfly Marketing
    Manuscript

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mark i like your style. You shoot from the hip and that's rarely PC. i enjoy your jokes too. Sometimes when i post late at night i get a little goofy and say things that might offend. oh well, ya can't please everyone all the time so might as well be real.

    Don Shepherd
    Oregon Flyfishing

    ReplyDelete
  11. Indeed, I will sometimes draw in my opinion on politics or the economy in order to have flavor. However, I am learning more and more often that most of those opinions of mine have little to nil to do with my essential work of helping people in Letting Go and Moving On to Attract New Love in Their Lives.

    So, I have learned to...

    keep my mouth shut and fingers limit my typed words.

    Intriguing post, indeed.

    Mint chocolate chip has little to do with any of it. I like it with Whipped Cream and a cherry please. :)

    All the best,

    April Braswell

    Online Dating Sites Review, Internet Dating Sites Guide

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good post in that you were genuine and anyone can respect that.
    Loved the joke too!

    Jen B

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mark,

    I too have learned that there are opinions and beliefs so inflammatory that no good can come from airing them.

    In fact, I've just deleted the next three paragraphs I was going to post because I know they would alienate people. I also know that they will most probably express their views on the same subject without a second thought (albeit from a different perspective) without realising that they're alienating me.

    Must not type more ;-)
    Must not type more ;-)
    Must not type more ;-)
    Must not type more ;-)

    Philip

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mark,
    Why be so shy about things? :-)
    Great idea and method of how to get your point across to others. BTW I don't think we can blame GW on mankind either.

    Lynn LAne
    www.Warriorofsuccess.com Warrior Of Success Training

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that the overall temperature/weather is cyclical (sp?). I think the earth is just entering another stage in the cycle. But, who knows for sure?

    Lisa McLellan, Babysitting Services - Babysitters, Nannies, and Au-pairs

    ReplyDelete