Thursday, April 16, 2009

Expectations

I recently became snared in the Costco trap. I went to Costco recently to purchase razor blades. They did not have the blades I normally use so I bought a new brand razor with four blades in the cartridge instead of my normal three. I had no idea what the benefit of the fourth blade was. I decided to purchase the new razor pack with 20 extra cartridges. The 20 extra cartridges is the Costco trap. Purchasing inexpensive products in bulk that can take years to consume.

During my next shaving experience, I immediately found out the danger of the fourth blade. It's there to disfigure your face. While attempting to control the bleeding, I decided I was going back to my old three blade brand. My previous razor gave a much smoother shave and was easier to use.

The following shaving experience with my trusty three blade brand went flawlessly. I remember thinking how superior this razor was compared to the one that hacked my face. As I reached down to put the razor away, I was shocked I had used the wrong one, my weapon of facial destruction, the Costco razor.

I was surprised how easily my mind was deceived by this trivial incident. My expectations completely changed my perceptions. There is a marketing lesson to be learned from this experience.

Positive expectations increase the chances of a positive experience.
Negative expectations increase the chances of a negative experience.

This simple lesson explains how branding creates loyalty. You are loyal to brands because you expect the same positive experience, time and again. Using a trusted brand relieves you of the stress of having to make a choice every time you purchase (you wouldn’t normally switch unless you found a product that greatly exceeded the expectations of the old brand). A slight improvement is not enough.

Because we’re inclined to stick with our favorite brands, we often don’t try other products for comparison’s sake. One very powerful method to obtain new customers that are using a competitor is to simply give your product away. Show people who think they’re happy with a product that yours is superior.

Naturally, your brand has to continually provide customers with a quality product or service. Never give them a reason to consider switching to a competitor. Happy customers are usually loyal customers. Loyal customers tell other people about the positive experiences they’ve had, and thus create positive expectations for future customers.

" A very important aspect of motivation is the willingness to stop and look at things that no one else has bothered to look at. The simple process of focusing on things normally taken for granted is a powerful source of creativity"
– Edward de Bono

17 comments:

  1. What a great story to illustrate how our expectations affect our perceptions and choices. And how to use this in our marketing.

    Free "test drive" is such a powerful way to let customers persuade themselves about switching products through getting the positive *experience* of using them - rather than having to believe what you claim it will be - you would think most marketers would use this simple business strategy.

    I suspect many are too scared to be found out as providing sub-par quality... and to lose money.

    All the best,
    Yann
    www.ProfitsTactics.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great idea to try.

    Give it away.

    Yep... once again i've got something i can use immediately from your excellent blog.

    JJ Jalopy
    Life Coaching and Home Business Advice with JJ Jalopy

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yes, the puppy dog close. "Let me just put this necklace on you for awhile"....and yes, free samples are great! Brand loyalty once built is hard to switch, and perceptions ARE reality as you have proven once again.
    SunnyMarie
    www.sunnymarie.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Steve and I are about to roll-out Sales Eagles with a Charter Test Drive offer to get highly motivated sales pros to join our group...

    Our mission? To save the world economy, one sale at a time...

    Seize the Day,

    Rob
    Sales Eagles Soar Above the Competition!Personal Asset Protection For Small Business OwnersAnd I really hate having to go to log in on a blogger account on this site every single post, I can never remember and it always eats the first one, gives me an error and I have to redo it. Why?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Free samples are great and an integral part of internet marketing. People really don't want to think hard about decsions over and over. Branding, as you say, helps resolve this issue - for them - and us.

    Christian Haller
    www.christianhalleronline.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm reminded of the story of the teacher who was told at the beginning of the school year that her class was made up of the brightest kids at that grade level. In reality, these kids were having trouble with learning the material. At the end of the year this classroom of kids were the highest performing in that grade. All because the teacher thought they were bright.

    I know this doesn't apply directly to your story about retail sales. It does tell us a lot about our expectations.

    -Pat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rob try to put marketingscoops.com in your google reader

    ReplyDelete
  8. is this the shaving forum?

    good message on pos/neg expectations.

    Don Shepherd
    oregon or bust

    ReplyDelete
  9. why did I just KNOW the fourth blade was there to make your face bleed! (Did it come with a back end product of those stop bleeding sticks?)

    excellent point

    Best regards,

    April Braswell

    Dating Expert and Online Dating Coach

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Mark,

    Must say i have one of those 4 blade razors with a titanium blade and its pretty good hasn't disfigured me to much...yet!...lol

    The free sample is always an awesome strategy if your Life Time Customer value is significant!

    Duane

    Discover Secret Persuasion
    Techniques that Work Like Magic by Tapping Into the Psychology of
    the Mind with The Persuasion Expert Duane Cunningham!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Free samples is as good as the product.

    Bob Kaufer
    Z Health For Life1

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mark,
    Great post. I recently heard of a study in which children who were repeatedly told they were smart actually became smarter and did better in school.
    Also, word of mouth adertising is the best!

    Kind Regards,
    Anthony
    http://www.anthonylemme.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking forward to your marketing scoops as you further update your blog this weekend, when you can surface from the Ice Cream and Gelato.

    Best regards,

    April Braswell

    Dating Expert and Online Dating Coach

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Mark,

    Great post as usual, will drop by for a sample when in the neighborhood!!

    Thanks

    JC JC

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mark,

    This is a great post on loyalty to brands. I know in the cellular world that trying to change a consumer for a select manufacture to another one is just pointless.

    Mitch
    BlackBerry Mobile Education Motorola v551 Unlock Motorola v180 Unlock

    ReplyDelete